Please visit cacaonet.org to read about the Global Network for Cacao Genetic Resources (CacaoNet), organized by Bioversity International.
WHAT MAKES COCOA EXCELLENT?
- Good trees (genetics)
- Well cared for and grown in a suitable environment
- Pods correctly harvested
- Good practices to keep the trees healthy and free of pests and diseases
- Optimum fermentation and drying protocols specific to the type of beans
- Know-how for processing cocoa beans and for chocolate making
WHY IS CACAO DIVERSITY IMPORTANT?
Genetic diversity in cacao is declining. This is a serious problem because it increases the vulnerability of cacao to sudden changes in climate and to new pests and diseases.
FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO DECLINING GENETIC DIVERSITY:
- Habitat loss due to natural disasters and extreme weather
- Destruction of the Amazon rainforests - centre of diversity and home of cacao
- Loss of traditional varieties grown